From July 7 to 11, 2021, Oakland Animal Services will be participating in the Bissell Pet Foundation’s Empty the Shelters campaign. Adoption fees for pets adopted during the event will be $25 (excluding any applicable dog licensing fees).
You must meet and adopt the animal between July 7 to 11 to be eligible for the reduced adoption fee of $25. All adopters will be required to complete a short survey from the Bissell Pet Foundation.
On these days, you may adopt a pet via our regular appointment-based adoption process, which you can find here. Appointments are limited and we apologize that we may not be able to accommodate everyone who may want an appointment on these dates.
There are also opportunities for walk-in adoptions where you can adopt a pet at the reduced $25 adoption fee:
- Thursday July 8 from 5-7pm at the shelter: All species
- Saturday July 10 from 11-2pm at the shelter: Dog adoptions only
- Sunday July 11 from 12-3pm at Pet Food Express Rockridge: Kitten adoptions only
Oakland Animal Services is located at 1101 29th Ave, Oakland.
Pet Food Express Rockridge is located at 5108 Broadway, Oakland.
In-person Adoption Events
- All attendees will be required to complete an adoption questionnaire. You may either complete and print the adoption questionnaire at home and bring it with you to the event, or you may complete the questionnaire at the event
- Note that this step is required even if you have previously emailed an adoption questionnaire to us
- Be sure to bring a photo ID, as well as a form of payment for the adoption fee (Cash, Check, or Visa/Mastercard)
- Note that we cannot accept credit cards at events held at Pet Food Express
- At the event, one of our staff or volunteers will speak with you to help matchmake you with an appropriate pet(s)
- A volunteer will then introduce you to the pet(s) who may be a good fit
- For adult cats and dogs, you may meet up to 2 pets, for up to 15 minutes each
- Note that we cannot hold animals for any reason. For example:
- If you do not move forward with adoption after meeting an animal, another person at the event may ask to meet the animal and the animal may be adopted by them
- If you adopt, you should be prepared to take your new companion home with you on the same day as we cannot hold the animal for you at the shelter
- If you have a resident dog(s), we cannot hold a dog while waiting for you to bring your resident dog(s) to the shelter for a dog/dog introduction
- If your adopted pet is not yet spayed/neutered, you will be asked to bring your pet back for their spay/neuter surgery. On occasion, if their surgery is scheduled in the next few days, you may be asked to leave your adopted pet at the shelter and pick them up after surgery
- All adoption requirements as listed here apply. Note that all children 12 yrs and under must be present to meet the pet you are adopting
- For dog adoptions:
- If you have a resident dog(s) at home, you must bring your resident dog(s) to meet the new dog
- Please bring an additional person to stay with your dog either in your vehicle, or somewhere nearby outside the shelter. Due to the number of dogs at the shelter, your dog may not be brought into the shelter until you are ready to adopt a dog, at which time shelter staff will conduct a dog-to-dog introduction
- All attendees must wear a mask at all times regardless of whether you have been vaccinated