Improve the lives of animals in Oakland by facilitating transfers from Oakland Animal Services (OAS), the city’s only open-admission shelter, to nonprofit adoption partners and other outside agencies. Incumbent will oversee the Oakland Animal Services transfer program to include cultivating relationships with partner shelters, selecting appropriate animals for transfer and maintaining communication internally and externally about animals being transferred. This staff position is also responsible for assisting the Foster Care Coordinator in fulfilling his/her duties in his/her absence.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to: .
Download a PDF of the job description.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and cultivate relationships as well as serve as primary point of contact with partner shelters and transfer partners both in and outside of the Bay Area.
- Build new shelter and transfer partnerships through outreach and networking.
- Coordinate all transfer/transport details, including any veterinary scheduling, recruiting the help of staff and/or volunteers as needed.
- Assist shelter staff with weekly population assessment to ensure timely process for transfers.
- Provide regular outreach via e-mail and phone with transfer partners and partner shelters.
- Maintain sharable database with photos, videos, and descriptions for animals needing transfer.
- Coordinate with receiving partners on individual animals eligible for transfer by reviewing medical and behavior records, provide further dialogue as needed. Reach out to partners regarding animals in need of special assistance.
- Perform data entry to maintain appropriate recordkeeping. This will include animal transfer statuses and partner interest.
- Develop transfer program protocols and procedures.
- Maintain transfer program statistics and reports.
- Work closely with shelter management and Foster Care Coordinator.
- Assist OAS Foster Care Coordinator with workload during his/her absence to the extent possible.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Associates degree or equivalent from an accredited college or technical school
- Two years of experience working or volunteering with an animal care, rescue, or shelter organization
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to the mission, goals and success of Oakland Animal Services
- Verifiable experience handling domestic animals, with an intermediate understanding of dog behavior preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and database systems
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Positive attitude with the ability to work both independently and cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and outside partners
- Flexibility, adaptability, aptitude for effectively prioritizing multiple tasks and a strong work ethic
- Primary work location in an animal shelter environment
- Exposure to loud noises in the kennel areas
- Potential for exposure to animal feces, blood, and zoonotic diseases
- Potential for exposure to animal bites and scratches
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and weekends
- Must be able to tolerate the emotional aspect of work in an animal shelter environment, including the use of euthanasia
- $18 – $22 / hour DOE