Did you find your lost pet at Oakland Animal Services?
You must be at 18 years old to claim a pet from the shelter. Bring the following to the shelter during our open hours:
- Proof of license
- Proof of rabies inoculation
- certificate of sterility
- Medical records for pet
- Adoption or purchase documents
- Microchip information
- Photo of animal (combined with documents above)
- MUST HAVE Government identification (i.e. drivers license, passport)
- MUST HAVE Applicable Fees (cash or MasterCard or Visa) no checks for redemptions
It is for the protection of the owner and the pet that we cannot redeem any pet without proof of ownership.
The following requirements must be met prior to any pet being released to its owner:
- All dogs (four months or older) must be registered and licensed and must wear a current license tag at all times.
- No cat or dog over the age of four months will be released without establishing the proof of a valid rabies inoculation. If proof cannot be determined the animal must be inoculated before it may leave the facility. This may require the pet to stay an additional day for qualified staff to perform the inoculation.
- No pet will be redeemed into the custody of its owner until all established fees have been paid.
- All payments for redemption of pets will be cash or credit card, no checks accepted.
Once a pet has been held the required holding period and has been adopted into a new home it is the property of the new owner. If your pet has been adopted, staff will contact the new owner and ask if they wish to return the pet or contact the owner. If the new owner chooses not to return the pet or contact the owner there is no other action that we can take as completed adoptions are final.