Lost your pet?
1. Check our Found Animals page. If you see your lost pet listed, call us at (510) 535-5602 between 11am-4pm, 7 days a week
2. Be sure to check for your lost pet on Petco Lost Love as well as there may be additional pets listed there
3. If your pet is microchipped, contact your microchip company immediately to inform them your pet is lost and ensure your contact information is up-to-date
5. Contact all of the animal shelters in and around the area that your pet was lost and file a lost animal report with each shelter
6. Register your lost pet on:
9. Notify your neighbors and search the area thoroughly especially in the evenings, since pets become frightened and hide during the day. Door-to-door canvassing may provide leads in finding your lost animal. Leave a contact number in case your animal is found
10. Check with your local veterinarians, as injured pets may have been taken to a vet by a concerned resident
11. Place posters in the vicinity where the pet was lost. Include your pet’s color, size, age, gender, and any special markings, as well as the date when your pet was lost. Remember to remove the posters once you have found your pet
You can find more resources at Missing Pet Partnership. Don’t give up too soon! Many animals have been missing for weeks before being brought into a shelter. Well-meaning residents may have held your animal for some time before turning your pet in to the shelter.
When you find your pet, be sure to microchip your pet and place an animal license tag or ID tag on your pet’s collar. Always keep your contact information with the microchip company up-to-date
The law requires that you report any stray dog or cat that you find in Oakland to Oakland Animal Services. While we encourage you to try and find the pet’s owner by calling the phone number on their tag, asking your neighbors, putting up flyers, posting on social media, scanning for a microchip (which can be done at any veterinary clinic or animal shelter), etc., you must also report the lost pet to Oakland Animal Services.
If you have found a stray animal, please call us at 510-535-5602 between 11am to 4pm, 7 days a week, to make an appointment to bring the animal in to the shelter. You may also walk in to the shelter with the animal you have found, between 11am to 4pm, 7 days a week.
It is important that you bring the dog or cat into the shelter so that we can obtain information about them to post to the found animals page on our website. This is where many pet owners look for their lost pets. In some circumstances, you may be asked if you are willing to take the pet home with you and hold the pet in your home while we try to locate the pet’s owner.