We strongly recommend that every new pet parent attend at least one series of group training classes, or work with a private trainer. Even if you have previously trained your own dog(s), remember that each dog is an individual and you will learn something new by attending classes with your new dog. It will also help strengthen the bond between you and your dog.
Check out some common dog training myths here.
**Many trainers are offering online training during the COVID pandemic, check out their websites below for more info**
Group classes (for puppies and adult dogs):
- Bravo Pup
- Dodger’s Paws (Pleasanton)
- East Bay SPCA Dog Training
- Sirius Puppy and Dog Training
- Train the Bay by Berkeley Humane
- Training at Pet Food Express with Tammy Quirin
- BAE Dogs – Brittany Jacobsen
- Cafe Dog Training – Sioban Bowyer
- Canine Behavior Associates – Trish King & Tricia Breen
- City Pup SF – Josh Boutelle (San Francisco)
- Devoted Dog Training – Courtney Briggs
- Dog Training with Sara – Sara Scott
- Lynn Brown (South Bay)
- Pawgress Dog Training – Rusty Barnes
- Paws4Learning – Cheryl Collett
- Prime Paw – James Baybayan (San Francisco)
- The Canine’s Voice – Sabrielle Melton
- Tug Dogs – offers board and train (Northern CA)
- Bravo Pup (East Bay)
- Good Dog Day Care Puppy Socials (Hayward)
- Humane Society Silicon Valley (Milpitas)
- Peninsula Humane Society (Burlingame)
- Prime Paw (San Francisco)
- SF Puppy Prep (San Francisco)
- Tony La Russa’s ARF (Walnut Creek)
Click here to watch a short video to learn about the importance of puppy socialization.
Want to learn online? Instinct offers a few free online dog training courses here.