Below are helpful resources that will help guide you through things to consider before getting a dog, as well as what to do when bringing a new dog home.
- Important things to consider before adopting a dog
- Other considerations before adopting a dog
- Adopting a puppy? Check out our puppy resources
- Understanding pet insurance
- Understanding renter’s insurance
We want to help you and your new dog get off to a great start together. Moving into a new home can be a stressful and confusing time for a dog. We encourage you to give both your family and your new dog time to adjust. What does this mean? Basically, it means letting your dog settle in and learn their new routines. It may takes days, weeks, or months for a dog to feel comfortable in their new home.
Be sure to set clear expectations from Day 1, and be consistent with what you allow and don’t allow your dog to do. However this does not mean punishing your dog when they do something you do not like. You will need to learn to communicate clearly, and kindly, with your dog. This will help your dog tremendously.DecompressForSuccess
- Preparation checklist before bringing your new dog home
- Adoption starter kit – recommended supplies to get before bringing a dog home
- Bringing your new dog home
- Bringing your new puppy home
- Bringing a new dog home during shelter-in-place #stayhome
Check out addition information provided on the Dog Resources section of our website to help set you and your new dog up for a successful, long, loving relationship.