We strongly recommend that every new pet parent attend at least one series of group training classes, or work with a private trainer. Even if you have previously trained your own dog(s), remember that each dog is an individual and you will learn something new by attending classes with your new dog. It will also help strengthen the bond between you and your dog.
Oakland Animal Services does not endorse any individual trainer, company, or facility. These are recommendations made by volunteers and staff:
Group classes (for puppies and adult dogs):
- Bravo Pup
- East Bay SPCA Dog Training
- Oakland Dog Training Club
- Sirius Puppy and Dog Training
- Train the Bay by Berkeley Humane
- Training at Pet Food Express with Tammy Quirin
- Dodger’s Paws (Pleasanton)
- Canine Behavior Associates – Trish King
- Devoted Dog Training – Courtney Briggs
- Pawgress Dog Training – Rusty Barnes
- Sara Scott dog training
- Lynn Brown (South Bay)
- Bravo Pup (East Bay)
- Good Dog Day Care Puppy Socials (Hayward)
- Humane Society Silicon Valley (Milpitas)
- Peninsula Humane Society (Burlingame)
- SF Puppy Prep (San Francisco)
- Tony La Russa’s ARF (Walnut Creek)
Click here to watch a short video to learn about the importance of puppy socialization.
Want to learn online? Instinct offers a few free online dog training courses here.